- Read the first three chapters of Version Control by Example (VCBE).
- Obtain the required textbook and, optionally, the optional textbook. See the course notes for details.
- Set up the JDK and Subversion on your computer. Add the JDK to your path if you're using Windows. See sections 2.2–2.4 in the lecture notes for details.
- Set up a text editor suitable for editing source code. Set the EDITOR (Mac) or SVN_EDITOR (Windows) environment variables so that the editor opens automatically when it is necessary. See sections 2.5–2.7 in the lecture notes for details.
- Make sure all of the above worked by completing homework 1.
If you're confused about any of this, and reading the lecture notes, reading the assigned chapters of Version Control by Example, and watching the video of the demo in the first lecture does not help, email me, and I'll try to help. I also have office hours after lecture on Monday.